Focus: Goal Getters
In researching this dream of intentionally pairing talents with performance metrics, I came across a model of goal-striving called the Self-Concordant Model. The word "concordant" was foreign to my vocabulary. It is defined as "in agreement" or "in harmony". To be self-concordant is to find a balance between your authentic self and your daily actions.
Here are some ways to apply the Self-Concordant Model to goal setting for 2019;
* Align with your leader on the overall goals and objectives for your position and department
* Identify your natural talents (Top 5 StrengthsFinder Talent Themes)
* Design pathways to achieve goals and objectives leveraging your Talent Themes
* Consider alternate routes to leverage your talents; look beyond your current scope while still contributing to the overall goals for your work area
For effective goal setting, try partnering with someone with the StrengthsFinder Talent Theme Focus. People with Focus prioritize and then act. They make necessary corrections to stay on track and persevere until the goal is achieved. They begin with the destination (the goal), then define the journey (actions). They instinctively filter activity along the way to avoid time-consuming distractions. They keep everyone on point by staying focused on what is most important.
Put some Self-Concordance into your work life! Find a work partner with Focus and have them focus their talent as follows;
* While they have the ability to multi-task, people with Focus are at their best when they can leverage single-mindedness. Break each project or goal into individual timelines and measurements which they can strive towards achieving.
* Assign meeting recaps to people with Focus. They thrive on the responsibility of summarizing what was decided and are great at setting timelines and clarifying action steps.
* People with Focus can help others within their work area set goals that are Self-Concordant. They can help people think about stretching their goal setting to align with their natural talents. Additionally, keep the Focus people close when you are responsible for designing group goals.
Dan is currently serving 20 years to life as the Sr. Director of Destination Experiences at Universal Orlando Resort. He prefers white-water rapids over data lakes and lists Ideation, Futuristic and Positivity amongst his signature talents. Find him on Twitter @dpddonovan